Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My favorite Un-comfort food

I call this un-comfort food cause when I make it I try to hog as much as I can for me. I usually eat so much of this I sit all night being uncomfortable.



The recipe is from Giada DeLaurentiis


1 lb elbow macaroni


3 tablespoons olive oil


1/2 lb mushrooms


1 onion, chopped


2 garlic cloves, chopped


1 - 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes


1 bag spinach (or 1 - 10 oz frozen)


1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flake


1/2 cup bread crumbs


1/4 & 1/3 cup each Parmesan and Romano cheese, grated


4 tablespoons butter


12 oz mozzarella cheese, cubed


1/4 teaspoon nutmeg




Preheat oven to 350 degrees.




Cook macaroni in a large pot til tender but firm to bite. Drain.




In a large skillet heat olive oil. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic. Cook til mushrooms are tender. Stir in tomatoes, spinach and pepper flakes. Cook til spinach is done.




In a small bowl combine bread crumbs, 1/4 cup of Parmesan and Romano cheese. Coat a 9 x 13 glass baking dish with 2 tablespoons of the butter. Coat the bottom only with half of the bread crumb mixture.




In a large bowl combine the veggie mix, macaroni, mozzarella cheese, remaining Parmesan and Romano cheeses and nutmeg. Spoon into the baking dish. Dot the top with the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and the other half of the bread crumb mix.




Bake til the top is golden brown, about 30 minutes.




Enjoy!

Posted @ Southern Hospitality Recipe Party

7 comments:

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Now this looks yummy...I see why you hog it for yourself! Thanks soooo much for sharing it.

Blessings,
Linda

Unknown said...

This looks very yummy!

Blessings!
Gail

sweetjeanette said...

I love mac-n-cheese...who doesn't? Thanks for this different mac recipe! (dropping by from Rhoda's recipe party)

sweetjeanette.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I love pasta and this sounds GREAT!!!
Geri

Allison Shops said...

Looks great!

Alphabet Soup Momma said...

Looks yummy! Thanks for sharing!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

That sounds heavenly!! I love Giada's recipes. Thanks for joining in the party.