Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Hey Y'All! It's Me....

Paula Deen!


I had to hijack this here blog when I found out that Lynne @ Happier Than A Pig In Mud was honoring me with a Paula Deen cookoff on May 15th! Well you can bet my sweet buttered buttocks I wouldn't miss it for the world!

Hmmmm.... now what to make?? Oh, I know! How about Bubba's Shrimp Gumbo! Straight from Uncle Bubba! You know you are from the south when atleast one of your kin is named Bubba or Junior.

Onto the recipe! You can view the whole recipe here. First we need to make a roux. What better way to make a roux than with butter!


Lots of butter! I cup butter! Mmmm mmmm mmmm!


Melt it over a low heat though. Pretend like you are limboing and go as low as you can go! Now stir in your flour and keep on stirring. Until your arm falls off. You want the roux to be a dark brown, but not burned. If you burn the roux, start all over.


Now, add in your chopped onion, green pepper and minced garlic. If you are following the recipe you will also add celery. If you were at the store with a very crabby 4 year old in dire need of a nap and forgot the celery, substitute celery seed. Let everyone get all friendly in there and translucently like.


Oh my! I am smacking my lips over here in anticipation! Now add your okra and remaining ingredients.


Raise your heat up to medium low and simmer for about an hour. Resist all temptation to stuff your face into the pot! It'll be done soon!


Now, doesn't that look scrumptious?! I served it over rice since Maggie's tribe loves rice! I hope y'all will try my Bubba's Shrimp Gumbo! Until then,

Love and Best Dishes!

P.S. Paula wasn't really at my house. I was just being weird today....

P.S.S. Now if ya'll want proof that my humor is in my DNA and just cannot be helped, head on over to my sister's blog, The Purple Rose! She was making this secret Paula recipe and teasing me about it. So I told her I was making one too. Imagine that! We both ended up making the same freaking thing! Our posts are almost the same too, except she is a much better cook! If you go give her some bloggy love, tell her I sent ya!

7 comments:

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

YOu are not weird... just hyserical! And this recpe looks wonderful. I've eaten at Bubba's twice. I just could not get away from the collard greens. So delicious!
What a fun post, Maggie!
xxo Yvonne

Dar said...

Maggie Dear, You are a hoot! Loved every lip-smackin' bit ya'll. I have one of Paula's cookbooks, Paula Celebrates!, chuck full of great eats.
Wanted you to know that your comment and Cher's got deleted on my blog by me due to my human error. I didn't mean any harm, just did not realize I entered the pics twice. The one up now has real words to go with the pictures, like a kids book. Ha! Anywhos, ya'll come back now and talk to me again. That rake really works wonders. The Family Dollar is holding one for you, I'm sure. Tell them I sentcha!
BlessYourPeaPickinHeart from MyKitchenTaYers

Lynn said...

Y'All are just the best! Too funny Maggie and thanks for the fun post! Gumbo is a beautiful thing, well, how could anything that starts out with that much butter NOT be a beautiful thing:@)

thepurplerose said...

Well my goodness!! Poor thing ran all the way from your house to my house!! In fact, if that's the case maybe I should try that!!!

It really is scary how our minds do think alike. As you can see without talking about it to each other it IS scary how closely they resemble each other!!! I have been planning mine for a few days without saying anything to you. So when I saw yours I thought, "she's gonna think I copied!!" Too funny!!!!

Red Couch Recipes said...

Oh my gosh that does look delicious! Joni

Lori said...

You are too funny ~ loving all that butter as you can tell from my thighs! Looks delish Maggie.

Babs said...

LOL, you are sooo cute and the gumbo looks delicious. Sounds like you're having a great weekend,
Babs