Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day!

Today was a beautiful day at the farmhouse! Happy Memorial Day to everyone. To all that have served or have supported someone who has served Thank You!


Of course to my favorite Jarhead, I love you honey!

We started the holiday with, of course, food! Sorry Lynn, you will see this for the Pillsbury Challenge Cook off!


Mmmmm, sausage.... That can mean only one thing here, Biscuits and Sausage Gravy! My sister showed me how to make it and it is always a hit here! I use a whole tube of a good sausage since we like to make piggies of ourselves! Git it all brown and crumbly!


Now, don't drain off that grease! You are going to slowly add a bit of cream. You want to add it a bit at a time to make a roux.


You want it to get all thick around the sausage. Once you get to that point, start adding milk a bit at a time.


When it gets all thick and bubbly, add some more milk and let that come up to a boil. Keep on repeating til you have the amount that you want.


I used a little more than a gallon of milk for mine. Whatever isn't used, I freeze and reheat later.


Now for the little fat boy! How I do hate opening those cans. Almost as much as I dread hanging window treatments!


I usually start with 2 cans, but keep a few extra just in case. I made them in a round pan. They come up higher than on a cookie sheet.


Scramble up some eggs, throw a few biscuits on your plate and smother it in gravy! That is some good stuff there!


It was 91 and SUNNY! Perfect day for a parade! Here is a little fact for ya, Hartland has the oldest Memorial Day Parade in the State of Michigan. I am just a plethora of knowledge huh?


Some day I want to be Grand Marshall and ride in a cool old car!


Or maybe I could ride on the back of my hubby's Harley.


Or maybe I could get someone to pull me around in a wagon? I doubt that if I could get my big butt into it, I would never get out! I doubt that I would look as cute as her though.


There were LOTS of scouts!


Syrina's favorite fireman, Walter, was there too. She loves Walter! He came to her class to teach about fire safety. He is such a nice guy and an awesome role model too!


Hartland's Teacher of the Year, Mark Conway, with his daughter.


This little girl was pedaling her buns off all through the parade!


Big Boy made an appearance too! See, we did have atleast one celebrity!


These two guys caught me taking a pic of them and started posing!


We also have the world's oldest clown too! I think she was about 183 years old. Atleast I know I can still be gainfully employed in my golden years!


They rode horses....


cows....


....and tractors.


I loved this little car!


It's liscense plate was the best part though.


After the parade we went a searching for Walter so Syrina could say "hi". We didn't find him at the firehouse....


....we did find him at the park though. Then home where the kids played bocce with Dad....


....while I gathered up some vittles....


....and BBQ'd up dinner.


I love a day that starts and ends with food! BBQ Chicken, Grilled Veggies and Homemade Cole Slaw.

Now for Clue #2! Ya'll had some good guesses, but no one came close. Maybe this will help....


Any guesses?!

9 comments:

Pam said...

Oh, I love a parade! And we did have gorgeous weather here, didn't we? I say that it's about time! I made biscuits and gravy the other day. I'll start my diet tomorrow. (Did Scarlett O'Hara say that?) lol! Looked like a fun Memorial Day. Thanks for sharing!

Lynn said...

Looks like you had a great day Maggie! I haven't had SOS in a long time, sounds good! Now don't laugh but, this city girl didn't know you could actually ride a cow!!! Didn't know you'd be able to ah... steer them:@)

Unknown said...

that's one of my favorite things about Michigan (shhhh...don't let this get out that i said i have a favorite thing about michigan, it would ruin my reputation), the parades. they really know how to throw a good parade...your kids are gorgeous, btw.
cheers!

Mary Bergfeld said...

It sounds like a lovely old-fashioned holiday parade. Your photos are wonderful and I love the instructions for gravy that you shared with us. You've created a lovely spot for your readers to visit and I always enjoy the time I spend here. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Lori said...

What a great week-end Maggie! The shrub is a spirea ~ bridal garland or bridal wreath.
I can't guess yet ~ but you have me wondering...

Hildie said...

You had Big Boy at your parade??? Lucky!

Mary said...

What fantastic photos from your parade~ they give me the warm fuzzies, seeing the cows, tractors & of course, military men there. My hubby would love your biscuits & gravy :-)

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Maggie, This is my favorite favorite favorite breakfast. Thanks for making this delicious recipe.
Can I come for breakfast when you make these?
xo Yvonne

bj said...

What a perfect re-post, covering FLAG DAY and the cook along. Perfect!!

This is one of my favorite breakfasts, ever.
Thanks so much.
xo bj