Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cinco de Mayo Yummies!

Happy Cinco de Mayo! Even though I am not Mexican I love celebrating Cinco de Mayo! I love real mexican food and what better way to lay it all out!

This year we started with Mexican Explosion Salad. This is Yvonne @ Stone Gables recipe. She loves this and usually have it atleast once every couple of weeks on her menu.


This was wonderful! I so wish that I had tried it sooner. The dressing is to die for! Can you guess what I am having for lunch tomorrow? If you haven't already, you really need to try this! You can find the recipe here on Yvonne's blog. Scroll down to Saturday meal plan to find it.

Now to get my Paula Deen on! Let's see if that copycat Purple Rose made this tonight too!


Yes, folks, even in Mexican Rice Paula manages to sneak in butter! You can find the recipe for it here. It is soooo good though! I think the one thing that made this so good was....


shredded Cheddar cheese! I did substitute Heinz's Fire Roasted Tomatoes instead of the tomatoes with chilies.

For the main course, Carne Asada! I love Carne Asada! It is a marinated flank steak. I have used this on wild game tenderloins (bear and bison) and it is AWESOME! I have used it on wild boar chops too. You can find the recipe here. Super duper easy to make too! This time though I decided to make my own tortillas. I have not made tortillas in such a long time.

I used this recipe here. I changed it up a bit by using my food processor.


I put in all the dry ingredients and gave it a whir. I then added the shortening and whirred it some more. Whir?! Is that what you do in a food processor? Anyways, when the shortening was mixed in, I slowly added the water.


Once it was all whirred up, I put it in a bowl and let it rest for a few minutes.


I then turned it out onto a lightly floured surface and cut it into 8 pieces.


Each piece was rolled into an individual ball. I heated a large skillet with no oil or butter. I know, gasp!, no butter!


While the skillet was heating up under a medium low heat, I rolled out one ball. You do want to roll them thin. Thin as you can get. They will puff up while cooking. Keep lifting and rolling to keep it from sticking.


Put it in your heated pan and cook on one side for a few minutes. You may notice some bubbles forming. This usually means it is ready to flip. They take about as long as it takes to roll out your next tortilla.


Before you know it, you have a stack of warm homemade tortillas!


I like to serve mine as a make it your own kinda tortilla. The meat and platter on a plate with sides of sour cream and more shredded cheese.

So there ya go! A dinner just for Cinco de Mayo. Now, if you will excuse me, I have to go and eat dessert! What?! You thought I forgot about dessert? You will have to wait for tomorrow though to see what it is though!

See ya tomorrow!

Oh yeah! Me and Purple Rose are brewing up something fun! We have yet to hash out all the details yet, but as soon as I can convince her to come to my side, I'll let you know what it is! It should be alot of fun!

8 comments:

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Homemade tortillas are on my to do list. Don't know what I've been waiting for - they seem so very easy.

Have a great weekend.

:)
ButterYum

thepurplerose said...

OMG!!! I haven't had tortillas made fresh in so long, I am drooling. I know you may think that is normal for me but it isn't!!! Also, I can't eat rice any more so no, I didn't make the rice. Apparantly on Weight Watcher's a cup of rice as many calories as a Whopper!! Looks yummy, I should have came to your house last night!!

Red Couch Recipes said...

Thanks for the tip about the Mexican Explosion salad -- it looks yummy. I have nade homemade tortillas before but they don't come out looking so round and wonderful like yours. They are beautiful. Have a great weekend! Joni

Lynn said...

Dinner sure looks good Maggie! I made homemade tortillas for the first time last week, they were great and I'll make them again. Gonna look into your marinade:@)

the old white house said...

Wowie Zowie!!!! You are quite the chef! I can't show this to my family because they don't know that it is possible to actually MAKE tortillas, ummmm I cannot make those you know! Now when we meet you will also have to teach me how to cook everything from scratch! looks delish! xoxo

Lori said...

I have never ever ever had home made tortillas ~ if I come over will you make some for me??!!

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

Your Yummy food always makes my mouth water! I could eat Mexican food everyday...our local taco place knows us by name, that is not good.

elena nuez said...

Ou lalala thanks for that delicious recipe!!!
have a nice Sunday and greetings from Spain!!

Elena