Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Cooking With The Fat Boy!

No Sam, not THAT fat boy....

....this one!


The ever lovely Lynn @ Happier Than A Pig In Mud is hosting a Pillsbury Cookoff on June 15th.

I just love a good party and Lynn has the most inventive ones. If you haven't checked out her blog yet, you should! Her sidekick, Earl, shows up every now too as a bonus. He sure is a cutie!

So, because I am sooooo organized and on time for everything, never leaving anything for the last minute.... (Ok, now that I am done laughing hysterically at that statement!) I tried something new last night. I saw it at a couple of parties last week and just knew it was going to be dinner one day soon. What, pray tell, is it? It is a Cheeseburger Ring from Jam Hands.

I did improvise it a little.

You can click on the above link to go to her original recipe. Here is my version though....

Cheeseburger Ring

2 lbs of ground beef
1/2 small onion or whole shallot chopped
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tsp mustard
1/2 brick cheddar cheese. shredded
2 cans Pillsbury Crescent Rolls

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brown the hamburger and onions together in a skillet.


While that is cooking, open your crescent rolls. This is the part that I hate. I hate opening "thwack biscuits/rolls". What?! You don't know what thwack biscuits/rolls are? You know, the kind you thwack against the counter to open! I hate opening them cause you never know if they are going to pop open while you are peeling off the paper or not. Kinda like a jack-in-the-box.


Unroll each can and separate the triangles.


Using a baking sheet covered with parchment paper or a cooking stone, lay out the triangles to form a circle with the points in the center. Jam Hands did hers with the points facing in the opposite direction. I had a brain fart and did mine different.


When I had mine all laid out, I went around the circle and pressed the edges together. Some spots were overlapped, so I tried to spread it out so it wasn't too thick. I only pressed together where I estimated the mixture would be.


Now, back to the mixture. Once the beef is done, drain well and return to pan.


Add the ketchup, mustard and mix well. When mixed, add the cheese.


Spoon the mixture evenly on the outer portion of the circle.


Now bring each point individually over the mixture and to the underside of the dough. I also folded up the outer edge of the circle to help with keeping the filling on the dough.


Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

Yummy! Since we don't put lettuce and tomato on our burgers, I served this with a salad. I definitely will be filing this away for future use!

Thank you to everyone for your sweet comments on my pics! I do have to turn sideways now to get through a door though my head is so swollen! As for the lens, it is a 55-250mm lens. I used it with these pics also. For now, I have to get back to work. I have a little something up my sleeve....

6 comments:

Pam said...

Yummy! My mouth is watering at it is not even 7a.m. yet. :-) I know what is for dinner tonight!

Lori said...

I have made something similar to this Maggie but mine did not look quite as pretty! What I love about it is there are so many variations that you can use ~ this one looks yummy!

Lynn said...

I couldn't comment yesterday, Bad Blogger!!! This looks great Maggie, I'm sure the kids thought it was cool! I'll bet you could use any number of things, ham and cheese, etc. Thanks so much for playing along:@)

Lynn said...

Hey girl! Wanted to stop back and say thanks so much for linking up your goodies! Whatcha doing with all the spare time you have now that school is out??? Bad joke, I know:@)

Barbara F. said...

Another delish recipe and seems easy enough! xo,

Julie said...

Delicious!! And beautiful.