Sunday, November 15, 2009

See I Got These 2 Chairs....


I stripped off all the fabric and had my husband restian them about 10 years ago. Since then they have been sitting in the basement. I don't know why I never did them, I had all the stuff to do them.

Cindy is having her "I made it with what I had" party and I thought this was the perfect thing to do for it.

First of all I did the seat. It's the easiest. Being the rocket scientist that I am, I long ago tossed all the fabric. So I had to make my own pattern.


I covered the cushion with upholstery batting. Then I took the whole thing and drew around it plus 4" on the back of my fabric.


Then I stapled it to the underside with my electric staple gun. Then I got to work on the frame. I cut my pieces as I went since I didn't have a pattern and was feeling lazy. I covered the sides of the back and put the trim around the edge.



As you can see I did have a helper. Too bad she didn't bring her 7 short guys with her! I put some batting on the top of the frame to make it cushy for sitting in. I then covered it wih quilt batting for more cushiness.


I just cut squares large enough to fit. I started with the front first then moved to the back.



I cut strips of thin cardboard, flipped the fabric over and tacked them in place. You can buy tack strips but I was lazy and didn't feel like running for some. I used the instructions on the transition strip that is yet to be installed. I'm sure my husband doesn't need them.


This is what it looks like with the fabric folded down. Then I stapled it in place. Here is a hint for you. If you are upholstering, wear a short sleeved shirt. It is hard to drag around a chair you stapled your sweater to while you try to find the staple puller tool the girl has run off with.


I trimmed all the excess fabric and folded over the trim pieces. I then added a little detail with some nailhead trim I had.



Ta daa! One chair done and one to go. I think I am going to add some nailhead trim to the edge of the seat. I want to get the other one done first so I can see if I have enough left. Probably do I got 10 yards of the stuff!

I'm pretty happy with it if I do say so myself. I am going to get some small cushions for them also.

Now to get crack-a-lacking on that other one!

20 comments:

Lori said...

Oh my goodness Maggie ~ it turned out really good and the nailhead trim just finishes it off!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Hi Maggie, Just stopping in to see what you are up to and I see you are up to alot!!!!! Beautiful job. The nailheads look very professional. Kudos to you. If you see the 7 guys Snow White is with, send them over my way- I have some chores that Prince Charming won't do! They are busy guys so I think they won't mind.
Yvonne

concretenprimroses said...

I just wandered over from visiting bobbypins boardwalk. The chair is amazing! Great job.
Kathy

Mama Byrd said...

From Cottage instincts. I LOVE THIS! Great job and the little helper was priceless, got one myself

Anonymous said...

Wowza! I love it.

cindy said...

OMGooooodnesss! I didn't know you could upholster! That just totally rocks maggie...so glad my wee party could motivate you to get those chairs whipped into shipshape. That fabric you used is perfection.

Thanks for linking up girlfriend :O)
peace.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I've never tried upholstering anything - you make it sound and look easy. Love your fabric choice and the nailhead trim really finishes it off nicely!
KUDOS!!!
Zuzu

Mandy said...

Very pretty! You did a great job!

Elisa said...

Inspiring! Thank you! I have two lazy boyz I'd like to re-upholster...not sure if I dare..but the more people I see do it online, the closer I get to doing it myself.

Claudia said...

It looks fabulous! Love the nailhead trim - it adds the perfect touch.

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

Fantastic! I love the fabric and the trim is SOOO cute!

Anonymous said...

Great job!! What a fantastic change for these chairs!

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Looks fabulous!!!

Tammy@InStitches said...

You did a great job !

Gail said...

Oh WOW...GREAT JOB and I love the trim you added.

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

Wow... that looks fantastic! And you have the most adorable helper! :)

KimMalk said...

@Cheap Chic Home. Oh how nice this looks! Aren't you glad you did it? I really like the nailhead trim. And, good for you for using cardboard--I would not have thought of that.

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Wow! It turned out just beautiful... and your little helper is a cutie!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Yes, that was an ugly chair and a fantastic makeover. Great tutorial as well. Thank you os much for linking it to FFF.

The House Creative said...

Ok seriously beautiful! I love the nailhead trim. I have been working on a chair since July ( I know.. major slow) and when I took off the first layer of upholstery it had leather underneath with about 1000 nailheads that I had to take out! Love them, but they didn't work for my chair. :-)