Friday, March 25, 2011

Sweet and Lemony

I love lemons! If it is lemon flavored I am so there. I cannot resist it.

Cover it in chocolate?!

Heavenly!

When Jacqueline @ Purple Chocolat Home posted the recipe for these Lemon Shortbread Truffles I just knew I had to make them!


And steal her picture! Hers are way more pretty than mine! I think I was just in too much of a hurry to pop one in my mouth to think about how they looked!

I'm not even going to post her recipe here. If you click here you will be whisked through blogland to her beautiful blog and wonderful recipe!

I am going to take the time to share something wonderful with all of you though! A super easy, smooth, lemony lemon curd recipe! You will need 1/2 cup of lemon curd to make Jacqueline's yummy treats!


Lemon Curd
6 Tablespoons butter at room temp
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
2/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest

With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs and egg yolks one at a time. Mix for 1 minute.


Add lemon juice. Mixture will look "curdled". Put mixture in a saucepan and over low heat heat until melted.


Raise heat to medium and stirring constantly, heat until thickened. DO NOT LET MIXTURE BOIL! To check thickness, dip a spoon in the curd and swipe your finger through it. If it leaves a trail, curd is thick enough. When thickened, remove from heat and add lemon zest. Stir.


Curd will be a bright lemony color and a smooth, creamy texture. Immediately pour curd into a bowl and cover with saran wrap. You want the saran wrap to lay on top of the curd. This will prevent a skin forming on top.


As you can see, it makes a little more than 2 cups of lemon curd. Put bowl in refrigerate to chill. After curd is chilled it is ready to use. I put the extra in jars and froze it. It will last about 3 months in the freezer.

So there it is the no strain easy peasy lemon curd! You can use this as a spread, in pies, doughnut filling, whatever your little heart desires!

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Lynn said...

The curd recipe sounds great Maggie! I haven't tried making that yet and would like to! Happy Weekend:@)

abby jenkins said...

OHMY! Those look amazing! Lemon curd=heaven.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

I think blogger ate my comments! Drat! Your lemon curd looks sooooo good. I made a lemon angel food cake this week and have a couple of pieces left over. I'm thinking that your lemon curd and my angel food cake are a perfect match!
xo Yvonne

deb said...

Yummo!
*hugs*deb

Red Couch Recipes said...

There aren't too many things better than lemond curd in my book. When I saw these on Sue's and and then Jacqueline's and then yours...I know I need to make them too. I have never made lemon curd and I need to. Have a great weekend. Joni

Jacqueline said...

I have never made lemon curd, but have always wanted to! I am printing your recipe off. I think it will be great for Sunday. I am sure it is much better than the bottled! Thanks for the shoutout! So glad you loved them. We did too. My oldest daughter read about them on my blog and wondered why she didn't get any!!!!