Friday, July 15, 2011

What Is Carne Asada?

Probably the best thing ever to happen to meat!

When I lived in California, about 800 years ago, I used to go to the little market around the corner for carne asada. A marinated flank steak that is so crazy good! The one thing that I missed when I moved back to Michigan was the carne asada! I asked everyone about it and they just looked at me like I had grown 3 heads. Really?! No one knows about this?! Well.... after much searching I finally found a recipe that really closely resembles it.


Usually it is a whole flank that you marinate. I am using Highlander Cow back straps for mine. The back straps are the most tender part of the animal. I also sliced mine to let the marinade really get in there and season the meat.


Now for the marinade!

1/3 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 cloves of garlic pressed
1/2 cup olive oil
2 limes juiced
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp Mexican oregano
1 tsp paprika

Mix everything together in a small bowl.


Pour over a 4 lb flank steak. Now for the fun part, you get to play with your food! Get your hands in there and mix it all together. Rub it in and swish it around. Cover and refrigerate atleast 4 hours or overnight.


If you keep the steak whole, you can grill it and then slice it. Since I sliced mine before, I cooked it in the marinade in a skillet. Mmmm, all bubbly and good!


To assemble, I just lay a tortilla down, spread some sour cream on the tortilla, add some meat, cheese and roll up! Could it be any easier?!

You can serve this with any type of side dish you want. I served mine with refried beans topped with....


....more cheese! Sorry, I just had to add this pic cause I thought it was so cool.


Dinner is served!

Need a little snack later?

Creamy Guacomole with tortilla chips! This has got to be the ultimate guacomole!


1 Avocado halved, pitted and peeled
6 oz cream cheese
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour. Serve.


This is so creamy and good. The avocado is not overpowering at all. It's great on burgers too!

So there ya go! Everything you wanted to know about carne asada, but were afraid to ask!

Enjoy!

11 comments:

Prior said...

defiantly will try that creamy guacamole, yum.
Lezlee

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I love carne asada, they make it delicious here in Ecuador, although, not with any kind of tortillas, just like it but with rice and beans, My hubby loves it, I love the meat part, I'm not great with anything with beans. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Hugs, FABBY

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Hi Maggie,
Well, I'm afraid that I've never heard of carne asada. It's obviously not an English thing but, someone may prove me wrong on that !! It all looks absolutely delicious but not so good for the waist and hips !! haha. XXXX

Lynn said...

Num, num, num looks great! The marinade sounds like it would be good for a lot of things! And yep, I like your extra pic too-Happy Weekend:@)

Chez Zizi said...

I love Carnegie Asada burritos! I used to get them from those little taco stands in San Diego too! I will have to try your recipe. I also love refried beans and cheese.
Zizette

Red Couch Recipes said...

Love casrne asada and your recipe sounds so good. I think adding the cream cheese to the guacamole would be so yummy and I would be in fat heaven. Joni

~from my front porch in the mountains~ said...

I am a daily slave to an avocado! So the dip sounds fab!!! I think for tonight, maybe!!
I don't eat meat, but J would find your dish just perfect!
Thanks for the yummy goodness :)
xo, misha

Anonymous said...

Anything with meat and cheese makes me happy! I'm beginning to like avocado, so I will give this a try and see how it goes. It's only been in the past 4-5 years that I've started to eat mushrooms, and now I can't believe what I missed all that time.

Nicole said...

Wow this looks fantastic. I am all the time making mexican food (I lived in arizona as a kid and got the bug for south of the border food then, too!) but ive never made asada. I will totally be making this soon, my hubs will love it.

Just recently found your page, very cute, I've got you in my google reader now and look forward to more fun posts. :) Blessings!

Jilly said...

Your post so inspiring for my friends. She want to gain weight and he tried but didn't get result. So,now he became hopeless. I sure your recipe helps lot.
flaş bellek

Nicole said...

Just wanted to let you know I made this tonight (the carne asada) and it was a big hit. I shared the link to the recipe on my facebook page. thanks again!