Wednesday, December 23, 2009

In My Daughter's Eyes

I thought that I had lost my Christmas spirit. The gifts aren't extravagant, the decorations suck and I felt not in the mood. I was dreading Christmas. I tried everything I could to get in the spirit of things and I couldn't. I didn't want to buy crappy gifts. I didn't want to hang the sucky decorations. I just wanted it to be over and done with and to the part where I swear to lose 50 lbs only to end up gaining another 15.

Then I went to the grocery store to get grub for "the" dinner. Along tagged the 13 year old, who by the way is older beyond her means. On the way, she asked me what was my favorite memory of Christmas. Hmmm.... I thought long and hard and told her it was 2 things. Having my mom there and Midnight mass. I always thought that Midnight mass was the most beautiful celebration of Christmas. I got an ache because I suddenly missed those two simple things about Christmas. I asked her the same question.

Her answer?

Me. Me? Well inquiring minds want to know why? She likes that I tease them about their presents. She doesn't even care what is in them. She likes how I will grab a gift and shake it and sniff it and say "I think I small a gift for so and so." She likes waking me up on Christmas. She thinks I look like an angel. I have NEVER seen an angel with their mouth hanging open and spittle running out the side. To her I am though. She likes pretending that she doesn't want to come into the kitchen cause I grab anyone who does and sing Christmas carols like Lucy and dance around. She is excited about Christmas cause she has made every single gift this year. Why did she do that? Because I have taught this beautiful, wise beyond her years, child that Christmas is about giving of yourself.

So this year, I will be capturing the magic of my childhood Christmas by attending Midnight mass. My gift is that I will have 2 angels at my side. 2 angels I created. 2 angels that I have given to make the world a better place. 2 angels that can see through my short comings and love me unconditionally. Because to these 2 angels I am the meaning of Christmas and love and joy. These 2 angels are what they are because of me.

Is there any better gift?!

9 comments:

cindy said...

*sniff* That was beautiful Maggie. It's the kids who make Christmas magical after all.

May yours be filled with your angels and lots of chocolate.

Merry Christmas!

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Oh Maggie, that was just beautiful..... and something that we all feel.
Have a wonderful Christmas and I wish you and your family many, many happy times in the New Year. XXXX

Shelly's Stuff said...

How very uplifting and refreshing. In a time when people seem to have forgotten the true meaning of Christmas it's nice to hear that a teenager has not. Wishing your and yours a very Merry Christmas and a safe holiday season.

deb said...

Beautiful. Brought tears to my eyes, she has the true meaning of Christmas. You are very lucky to have such sweet angels beside you.

Wishing you and yours a magical memory making Merry Christmas and Happy Healthy New Year!
*hugs*deb

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Maggie, I wanted to take a minute out of my
family time to wish you a very Merry Christmas. I am so very happy I met you! Even though we have note met face to face I count you as one of my great blessings this year! You are very dear to me!
I love midnight mass too, and I will have my angels with me too. It just gets better and better.

Gotta run, fun is calling!
I'll visit right after Christmas, friend.
With love and Christmas wishes,
YVonne

Miss Mustard Seed said...

That is a great gift. I'm glad you were able to capture the spirit.

a Bohemian Market said...

Hi Maggie:
Isn't that something? Our kids make it all the right reason and be what is important!!!
I know you are good Mommie and a super lady.
This post really warms my heart : )
The kitchen and the tree will be crowded with all of the Angels surrounding it : )
Your daughter got it all right and I am Happy for you!!!
You are my girl as my daughter's would say : )
Enjoy Honi because they grow too quickly : )
Have a blast today.
Peace & Love
carole

Lori said...

Oh Maggie ~ I am catching up here today and I now have a big lump in my throat. This is truly what Christmas is all about ~ I hope you enjoyed Midnight Mass and that you had the best Christmas ever!! I am so glad I found you this year! xo

Twilight_fan_101 said...

i am so special to my mom! i always make her day!