Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Roller Coaster


That is what my week has felt like and I hate roller coasters!

My MIL went to Florida with her friend for a vacation. 3 weeks of fun in the sun! She called my hubby the previous week and told him that her knee and hip were hurting. She doesn't handle pain well. This is the woman who stubs her toe and spends 3 days in bed with vicodin. When she was 18 she was in a severe car accident. She was thrown from the car and then the car crushed her. She wasn't expected to make it. She did though. My hubby told her to go to the ER and have it checked out. She did and was told it was arthritis from those injuries. Welcome to old age!

By Monday though, she was starting to swell. My hubby finally talked her into going back to the hospital on Tuesday. They admitted her. She was so swollen that they had to cut off her jewelry. Her hands and feet were like grapefruits. He flew out Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. They didn't know what was wrong but had run every test they could think of on her.

Thursday they got a diagnosis. She has streptococcal pnuemonia. Part of the problem is that from her accident she had her spleen and part of her liver removed. Your spleen gets rid of the streptococcal. They also said that she was going into septic shock. So the next 24 hours were critical. My husband cancelled his return flight to stay with her.

Amazingly, Friday morning she was much better. She didn't want the pain meds that they were giving her. She was talking and smiling. It was looking good!



Yesterday, they said that they were going to move her out of ICU. The nurse wanted to get her sitting in a chair in her room for a bit though. When the nurse got her out of bed, she almost passed out. They got her back into bed and she said she had to pee. My hubby left the room so she could use the bed pan and returned to find out that she had peed 2 pints of blood.

So now the poor lady is back to staying in ICU and getting blood transfusions. She has internal bleeding and they don't know why or how come. So.... needless to say, I have gotten nothing done. I've been consoling kids, answering all the hard questions as best as I can, trying to help out my husband with his company in his absence, all the fun stuff. I am keeping my fingers crossed that things will turn out the best. So for now, the projects are on hold. Not much is getting done around here. I do have some things planned for when I come back though!

Here is hoping it is soon!

8 comments:

Lori said...

Oh my goodness Maggie ~ such scary stuff. I hope they find out where the bleeding is coming from. I am so glad that hubby was able to go down to be with her. Keep us posted please and here's a hug for you from me (((Hug))). xo

cindy said...

Oh wow. I hope she'll pull thru! It certainly has been a week of ups and downs for you guys. Keep us posted and we'll keep you and yours in our family's thoughts. {{hugs}}

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Dear, dear, Maggie,
Poor you. It's such a hard time when parents are ill and so far away. How horrible for your Mother-in-law and for your husband to have to deal with....and you. It certainly affects everyone. I hope that everything will be fine and I am thinking of you all. With much love. XXXX

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Oh Maggie. I am so sorry for your family. I will keep your Mother-In-Law and your family in my prayers! I'm sure that your Mother-In-Law is strengthened by your husband being with her. I'll keep hoping for the best right along with you.
xo
Yvonne

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. What a trying time for your family. I pray that she gets well very soon and that thing will settle down. I pray that you stay strong and well too!

Unknown said...

G'morn Maggie ~ I am sorry your life is rolling like a coaster! I do hope that your MIL is going to do well ... she sure is going thru a lot.

Have a wonderful week.
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

Donatella said...

so sorry hope it all gets better hang in there so sad how sometimes life gives us unexpected challenges to face will be thinking of you and praying for you(:

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

It's got to be so hard for you and your family with her out of town on top of everything else! I hate when you have to wait to find out what could be wrong! Try to hang in there.