Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Countertops - Day One

Yes, you read that right, day one.

I am not known for my patience so this is going to be hard.

I'm using this stinky paint to do the countertops on my island with.


It really stinks!  You also need to use mineral spirits to clean it up also.  Mineral spirits is not the best smelling either!  Good thing I have all the windows open.

Anyways.... my husband made this island for the new kitchen.  I love it!  One thing I wanted in the new kitchen was an island.


Would have been nice if I remembered to get a pic of it BEFORE I started to take it apart to paint!

Oy vey!!

When we took on this renovation, I wanted two different tones of cabinets.  I also wanted one type of granite on the counters and another one on the island.  The lower cabinets were going to be dark and the upper light.  But I changed my mind....  The island is going to be dark and all the other cabinets light.  One of these days we will get to putting in granite.  For now, I am using paint on the island to help me decide.  The other countertops are off the shelf formica tops from Lowe's.  Eventually those will get replaced too.  I've already painted the cabinets 3 times trying to decide what kind of finish I want on them.  Once I decide, we are planning on going back and replacing cabinets and countertops.

You can see the color of the formica in the first picture.  I really like it!  So for now, that is my "dark".  The island is going to be lighter.  I decided to do this because we are going on vacation on Friday for 10 days.  I want these to be able to cure while we are gone so I can reassemble them when we come back.

I'm also a glutton for punishment....


I got the first coat done on the underside....


....and the second coat.  I wanted to get this done so it can dry overnight and I can flip them to paint the other side.

The can says to let them dry for 12 hours.

Ugh!  I hate waiting!

So now we wait....

Did I mention I hate waiting?

No comments: