Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Jammin' At The Farmhouse!

I decided that I just didn't have enough to do what with the Fantabulous Basement/Storage Challenge, My July Inspiration Post, my BF from high school visiting, that I would stop everything and make Strawberry Jam!

I mean who could resist when you find strawberries for $2 a lb!

I love canning foods to use later. My jam stash is getting kinda low too. So here we go!


Wash and destem the berries. 1 lb of berries = 1 quart.


Put them in a large stockpot and crush them up a bit with a potato masher. 2 quarts of berries will make 4 pint jars of jam. I used 1/2 pint jars. For every 2 quarts of berries add 6 cups of sugar. Bring to a rolling boil and continue to boil, stirring frequently, until it reaches the desired thickness. I tend to make mine runny since the kids like it like that.


Have your jars all clean and the caps off. Before ladling the jam into the jars you will want to skim off the foam. Leave a 1/4" headspace and put the 2 piece caps on. Do not tighten the rings all the way.

Process the jars in a boiling water canner for 15 minutes.


Carefully remove from canner and let cool. When cool enough to handle, tighten the rings.

This jam is super yummy with hot fresh homemade bread.

I would make some, but I have too much to do right now....

8 comments:

the old white house said...

I do the same thing... well not make jam, but when I am overloaded with to do stuff my brain kicks into high gear and convinces me that I can handle one (or Two) more things! I might make pillows, pr paint a room that has gone unnoticed forever... you get the picture! My mom always made our jam, she tried to teach me a couple of times but hers was always so good and I couldn't convince my kids there was another kind of jam besides Bushies Jam that well I never really caught on. Read that as pay attention. Anyway... with her gone now when we got to our last jar of Bushies Jam well it was treated like gold! My 23 year old daughter is going to attempt to make it next week, using Bushies recipe, I hope for all of us it works! Good luck not finding another project to do! LOL Theresa

Lynn said...

Nothing better than home made jam!!! Be sure to enter Beth's give-away for the pizzelle maker! Maybe you'll get lucky!
foodasart-beth.blogspot.com

Southern Lady said...

Sounds yummy! Carla

Beth said...

Thanks for stopping by, Maggie! Glad you entered the contest and good luck to you! Homemade strawberry jam looks so good. When I was a teenager in 4-H, I made freezer jam. No canning involved, and it was delicious. Have a great weekend, Maggie.
Hugs and blessings, Beth

Dar said...

I jammed today too...will show ya later, anyway, your strawberry jam looks great. I just bought 4 qts....hmmm...think I will make some jam.
Nothing like multi-tasking. We women could conquer the world.
BlessYourHearts

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Well, I should have known ......Maggie is now making jam !!!! Is there anything that you can't do ? You, dear Maggie, are a marvel !! This has actually come at a very opportune moment. I have just been on the phone to our daughter. She is soon to buy a place of her own (she is renting at the moment) and when it happens, she with be rather strapped for cash !! So, she said that she is going to make jam, wrap it beautifully and give it as Christmas presents !! I said that it was a brilliant idea but, I didn't want jam as my Christmas present !!!! After much discussion we thought that, after buying all of the ingredients, jars, wrapping etc. it would probably work out dearer than regular Christmas presents !! Bang went that idea !!
I want you as my next door neighbour, Maggie. I think that you would be the BEST..... and, I can just see you knocking on my door with a jar of that delicious strawberry jam !!!! XXXX

Lori said...

I am back and I see I have a lot of catching up to do missy!! I love strawberry jam but my MIL make it for me and delivers it! I hull the berries, mash them and put them in a container then deliver to her with jars and sugar and certo and presto ~ all done!! Yes ~ I AM spoiled but she loves doing it so I am content in letting her do it for now.... Missed you ~ going to read on and see what I have missed!

Anonymous said...

Oh my. Strawberry jam AND homemade bread. Now THAT would be awesome! I'm not sure I'm motivated enough to make my own jam, but thanks for sharing the recipe in case I ever do get that way. :-) Hope you're having a good week.